Doctors Call for End of Water Fluoridation

by Karen on April 24, 2012

Putting Fluoride in Drinking Water is a BAD Idea

I just finished watching the movie, Professional Perspectives on Water Fluoridation, to learn more about water fluoridation from the experts. I assumed, as most doctors do, that there must have been great scientific evidence to prove that putting fluoride in drinking water is beneficial for everyone..otherwise, why would the government approve its universal use?

Tap Water

Photo credit: playgreen.typepad.com

Apparently, this type of evidence never existed. Once I found out that the fluoride used in our drinking water is industrial run-off from the phosphate fertilizer industry (who way-back-when was told by the government they couldn’t just dump it into our rivers), I decided I better get to the truth of the  matter. After watching the movie, I was astounded to learn that not only is fluoride never been shown to be beneficial when swallowed, it actually can cause harm, especially to newborns and people with kidney failure, like my dad.

Most surprising was the fact that I didn’t realize I have dental fluorosis!  My dentist called it “chalking” when I was a kid. Not only is it unsightly, it proves that I’ve been overdosed with fluoride from a young age.

And get this: too much fluoride can cause symptoms similar to arthritis! Hmm, wonder if my fibromyalgia symptoms are related to too much fluoride accumulated in my system? I wonder!

So after watching the movie, I signed the doctors’ petition to get the stuff out of our drinking water worldwide at www.FluorideAlert.org. To summarize what I learned from the movie, here are the top ten reasons why our water shouldn’t be fluoridated:

Top Ten Reasons to Stop Fluoridating Tap Water

1. Most people are not even aware that their water supply is fluoridated, an obvious violation of their right for an informed consent.

2. Fluoride has no significant biological value. In fact, it can  even slow down the vital functions of important body enzymes and G-proteins.

3. Children are high-risk in developing mild to severe forms of dental fluorosis. From the time fluoridation was first introduced in the 1940′s up to the recent years, cases of dental fluorosis (significant damage to tooth enamel secondary to overexposure in fluoridated water)  have increased from 10% to an astounding 40%, according to 2010 CDC reports.

4. Water fluoridation involves the use of chemical by-products of the fertilizer industry.

5. Fluoride in water provides little or no benefit to our teeth. As a matter of fact, a U.S. study (Warren et al., 2009) found no significant link between the use of fluoridated water and development of tooth decay.

6. Ingestion of fluoride involves many health risks. It’s one thing to use fluoridated toothpaste to nourish our teeth  but to ingest fluoride directly through a drinking water is another. As a matter of fact, several adverse effects related to fluoride ingestion have been previously recorded. These include, but not limited to:

a. Brain damage – Both animal and  human studies performed by EPA scientists in the 90′s proved that fluoridated water can bring dementia-like effects to the brain and even decrease IQ levels among children.

b. Thyroid problems – The National Research Council (NRC) has described fluoride as an “endocrine disrupter”  because low to high doses of fluoride can affect the vital functions of the thyroid gland, leading to depression, weight gain and other related manifestations.

c. Bone diseases – NRC also emphasized that fluoridated water with levels as low as 1.5 ppm can decrease bone strength and make our  skeletal system  even more vulnerable to fractures. In addition to that, Harvard scientists have also found a significant link between fluoride ingestion and development of a certain type of bone cancer called osteosarcoma among men under the age of 20.

d. Additional burden on kidney patients – People who currently suffer from a certain case of kidney disease can further damage their body if they ingest fluoridated water. Their inability to adequately excrete fluoride will lead to a serious bone disorder  called renal osteodystrophy.

7. Breast milk is a better alternative for babies. If you’re going to compare the amount of fluoride contained in human breast milk to that of bottled milk prepared  in places where fluoridated water is abundant, you will discover that bottle-fed infants receive 200 times more fluoride than their breastfed counterparts, exposing them to more adverse effects related to fluoride ingestion.

8. Follow-up monitoring is not being done so the actual extent of adverse effects of fluoride ingestion has  not been confirmed yet.

9. High-risk groups are exposed to more serious dangers. Fluoride ingestion can be  more dangerous and sometimes even fatal for high-risk groups such as diabetics, infants, elderly, people with existing disease and those with either a calcium or iodine deficiency.

10. People with low incomes are particularly discriminated. Access to fluorosis treatment and ways to avoid fluoride in drinking water is limited for people with low socio-economic status.

Be Sociable, Share!

Related Posts

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

jwillie6 April 25, 2012 at 12:56 AM

It’s time to retire fluoridation because it doesn’t work, wastes money and is harmful to health. Drinking it to prevent tooth decay is like drinking sunscreen to prevent sunburn.

Consider Kentucky, which has been 100% fluoridated for over 40 years. Government records show that Kentucky leads the nation in the number of dental cavities in children, and in the number of completely toothless adults. The same ineffectiveness is evident in many states and cities, such as West Virginia, Washington D.C., Boston, Detroit, etc.

West Virginia is 92% fluoridated and comes near last place with 38% toothless.

Hawaii has the lowest fluoridation rate (9%) and the lowest rate of toothless residents in the US (10%). This shows the absolute ineffectiveness of fluoridation.

Dr. Karen Kan April 26, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Great statistics! Thanks for sharing!
Dr. Karen Kan

Tom Nocera April 25, 2012 at 6:24 AM

If you look at states with the least fluoridation you find longevity is greatest and conversely, states where fluoridation is the most widespread death comes earlier. The CDC’s own records point to this inconvenient truth!

Dr. Karen Kan April 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Wow! That’s crazy! Thanks for sharing Tom!
Dr. Karen

Numbercruncher April 25, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Every year about 1,000 15 yr-olds in fluoridated Ireland get similarly ‘chalky’ teeth. With fifty times more people in the US being exposed to fluoridated drinking water than in Ireland, some 50,000 kids of the same age could be affected in the US every year. check http://www.irelandagainstfluoridation.org for details.

Dr. Karen Kan April 26, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Thanks for leaving the link! I’m glad Ireland is fighting to get their water unfluoridated!
Dr. Karen

Tami Bushey April 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Like you Dr. Karen, at first I as well was duped in thinking this was safe. However after having my twins and their doctor wanting to have them take fluoride pills, I did some investigation.
I came to the conclusion that this was not safe for my children, and we did not give it to them. I can only imagine the number of tens of thousands of parents each year are told to give this hazardous, poisonous pill to their kids.

Dr. Karen Kan April 26, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Way to go Tami!

Hans Meyer April 26, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Your Cancer Expert: wher can i read recent research articles on breast cancer.

Anita Knight April 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM

hide details 2/24/08
Florida Institute of Phosphate Research – FIPR Report 2003 …
Overview of FIPR’s Public & Environmental Health Program and Priorities with
current and …. Brian Birky has directed this area of research since 2000. …
http://www.fipr.state.fl.us/FIPRreport2003/research-area-public-health2003.htm – 25k – Cached

Read this 2 page report by the state of Florida on the source of fluoridation agents that are not pharmaceutical grade, but commercial grade, containing a nearly full page of contaminants from the phosphate ore, “from whence it comes”.

Anita Knight April 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Oops! Forgot to mention that the fluoridation agent, liquid form, is called: Fluorosilicic Acid B703-06. Your local utilities department can provide you with the standard for it. The forward of 2 pages gives this source and even more information such as another element that is in the ore is…..Uranium and its decay series that ends in Lead. Like we need more Lead for our children’s growing brains???

Paula O' Sullivan April 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Great article Dr. karen, I only discovered what Fluoride is recently, when I was developing a Wellness Programme for my clients. Part of my programme was addressing the issue of dehydration. I walk my talk, so I started drinking more water myself, at the end of the week of drinking eight glasses a day I began to feel ill, had palpitations, was fatiqued and had developed a rash on my face and had dry itchy skin. I already have Thyroid issues that were under control. So I sought non Irish bottled water to drink, and starting researching. I discovered that Fluoride is an enzyme poison, and Fluoride displaces Iodine, it even affects the accuracy of blood tests. Here is a great report by Declan Waugh, you can read the summary or the full report. Declan sent this to the Irish Government in Feb 2012, but to date it hasn’t been read. http://www.enviro.ie/latest_news.html

Dr. Karen Kan April 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Thanks for the article! I just read about bromine displacing iodine as well. Makes sense. I’m testing my patients iodine levels now!
Best,
Dr. Karen

Paula O' Sullivan April 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Thanks, sorry I just noticed I dropped a capital K in your name please forgive :)
Paula

Richard Hudon April 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Dear Dr. Kan,

Don’t wonder about fibromyalgia being caused or aggravated by fluoride chemicals. It is.

I began to take a collagen supplement called Vital 3, it brought my pain level down by at least 30% in 5 days… Go figure! Fluoride destroys collagen: Dr. Yiamouyiannis and others.

Also, as I eliminated every possible known source of fluoride from my nutrition, including pesticides, my fibro symptoms began to recede dramatically.

I made the mistake of taking the much recommended Himalayan Crystal Salt until my fibro pain began to increase again. I found out that it contains 351 mg per kg or 351 ppm fluoride. I dumped what I had not yet used in a trench I dug in my back yard and the symptoms began to recede dramatically. I’m getting better again, but it’s a bit depressing to think that people recommend things without knowing the real source or the contents of what they are recommending.

Karen April 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM

That’s really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I’m on well water and I don’t think our town is fluoridated. I do recommend crystal salt for mineral deficient folks, but I can also test for fluoride toxicity using Doctors Data. Have you tried any fibrin-eating enzymes? Wondering if you’ve gotten any results from this?
Dr. Karen

Ivy March 31, 2014 at 12:22 AM

I was on well water 15+ years ago when I started having fibromyalgia symptoms. I had heavy metal testing done by my naturopath and I had high arsenic levels and the doctor’s data report said that well water was a source of arsenic. We tested our well water and the report said arsenic “caution” and beside fluoride it said “unacceptable”. So our fluoride was worse than our arsenic which was giving me heavy metal toxicity. No other substances were in our well water and our water was very soft with less than one grain of hardness (our old wells had 35 and 55 grains of hardness). The bottom line is I wonder if the fibromyalgia diagnosis was really fluoride poisoning from our well. Fortunately, iodine helps get rid of fluoride and the hypothyroidism that may result from fluoride consumption. Our well was 400+ feet deep so contamination from run off wasn’t an issue. (run off from an orchard where pesticides are used can cause arsenic contamination). I now caution everyone to get their well water tested.
Ivy

Doctors on Call May 2, 2012 at 2:28 AM

In today everyone is not bothered about water-fluoridation but in future we have to suffer from great loss we have to be serious about that otherwise no water no life.

Dave May 2, 2012 at 4:36 AM

The easy answer is a water distiller, fantastic tasting water, very cheap to run. only £168.00, with a lifetime guarantee! I’ll never drink tap or bottled water again!
My TDS meter showed tap water at 200-300 ppm (from memory). Once distilled the waters total dissolved solids comes out at just ’1 ppm’ incredible!
Best price and great service here: http://www.cytodoc.co.uk/water-distiller.htm

Dr. Karen Kan May 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Eric Smith, DO, MPH May 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I believe you can purge the body of the flouride, chloride and bromide by supplementing with iodine. A halogen that the body does use.